The Subsidiary, Smashed
On 31 December 2016, Parts Palace Limited acquired 60% of the shares in Smashed Limited. On that date, the equity of Smashed Limited comprised:
At acquisition, the book value of the assets and liabilities of Smashed Limited were considered to be at fair value, except for some non-depreciable assets (included under ‘Other non-current assets’ and considered to be part of net identifiable assets) that had a book value of zero and where Parts Palace assessed their fair value to be $170,000. There has been no change to assessed value of these assets since acquisition.
At the most recent balance date (31 December 2019), the returns from Smashed were not as high as expected. The directors of Parts Palace considered that acquired goodwill had been impaired by $200,000.
Tax and Deferred Tax
Assume a tax rate of 30% wherever relevant (i.e., for both Phase 1 and Phase 2).
Breakdown of Cost of Sales figures supplied below for 31 December 2019
|Cost of sales||1400||600|
Income statement for year end 31 December & Balance sheet as at 31 December 2019
|Cost of sales||1,400||600|
|Operating expenses (incl. Interest, Depn & Impairment)||300||400|
|Other income (icl. Dividends & Interest)||400||100|
|Operating profit before tax||2,900||700|
|Opening Retained earnings||1,500||500|
|Closing retained earnings||3,100||700|
|Other non-current liabilities||700||800|
|Total liabilities and equity||7,400||2,530|
|Investment in Smashed (at Cost)||2,000|
|Other non-current assets||1,100||700|
Phase 1 Required:
Prepare the consolidated group financial statements for Parts Palace and Smashed as at 31 December 2019, using the ‘Phase 1’ tab on the Excel template provided. Use only information provided above, as Al Bruno wants further detail on inter-group transactions left to be dealt with as ‘Phase 2’.
Now that you have considered the Phase 1 information and completed the relevant template for Al Bruno’s review, he wants you to go on to consider consolidation adjustments for intra-group transactions in more detail. Al wants to ensure you have the basics right before you go on to dealing with the impact of these adjustments on the consolidated financial statements. He tells you that profit on merchandise sales was 60%. for Parts Palace and 70%. for Smashed for all sales transactions including inter-group transactions (” = as a percentage of sales).
He has asked you to provide him with a spreadsheet showing the consolidation adjustments in journal form only for the following intra-group transactions during 2019 (all figures below are in $000s):
- Parts Palace sold Smashed merchandise at a price of $300.
- Smashed sold Parts Palace merchandise at a price of $400.
- $75 remained owing by Parts Palace at 31 December 2019 for the merchandise sold to it by Smashed.
- Parts Palace’s inventories included merchandise bought from Smashed of:
- $50 at the beginning of 2019, and
- $60 at the end of 2019.
- Smashed’s 2019 inventories included merchandise bought from Parts Palace of:
- Beginning: $30, and
- Closing: $35.
- The ‘Other non-current assets’ on Parts Palace’s balance sheet includes a long-term loan to Smashed of $800.
- The terms of the loan to Smashed require 8% annual interest payments. The loan was made on 1 January 2019 and interest is paid on 31 December each year.
Phase 2 Required:
Prepare the consolidation journal entries only for the above intragroup transactions for the year ended 31 December 2019. Please use the “Phase 2” tab on the Excel template provided and adhere strictly to the following instructions:
- You will need to choose the most appropriate accounts to which to post each journal
- Post a separate numbered journal entry for each numbered piece of information above i.e., your journal entries should be posted to the corresponding columns for the above numbers 1 — 7. For example, you will need to post a separate journal entry (Dr and Cr) for #3 and a separate journal entry (Dr and Cr) for #4a.
- You are only required to prepare journal entries for Phase 2 e., Al does not want you to adjust the Phase 1 figures until he has reviewed and authorised the journal entries.
Click on Buy Solution and make payment. All prices shown above are in USD. Payment supported in all currencies. Price shown above includes the solution of all questions mentioned on this page. Please note that our prices are fixed (do not bargain).
After making payment, solution is available instantly.Solution is available either in Word or Excel format unless otherwise specified.
If your question is slightly different from the above question, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your version of question.