Question 1: Topic 3 and 4 – Consolidated financial statements, method, acquisition, business combination valuation and intra-group transactions
On 1 July 2017, Old Ltd acquired 100% of the share capital of School Ltd (cum div.) for $920,000. School Ltd’s balance sheet on acquisition date included:
At acquisition date, all of School Ltd’s net assets were recorded at fair value except for:
|Carrying amount||Fair value|
|Buildings (Cost $100,000)||69,000||78,000|
- The dividend payable at acquisition date was subsequently paid in August 2017.
- The revalued inventory was sold during the year ended 30 June 2018.
- The contingent liability identified on the acquisition of School Ltd still existed at 30 June 2020.
- The revalued land was sold during the year ended 30 June 2020 for $52,000.
- The revalued buildings were still held at 30 June 2020 being depreciated on the straight-line basis at 15% per year.
- In May 2018, goodwill was impaired by $1,500. An additional $2,500 impairment occurred during the year ended 30 June 2020.
- Management fee revenues earned by Old Ltd during the year ended 30 June 2020 were collected from School Ltd.
- School Ltd’s inventory balance at 1 July 2019 included an item previously purchased from Old Ltd. This inventory had been sold by Old Ltd to School Ltd at a profit of $6,500.
- During the year ended 30 June 2020, School Ltd sold a quantity of inventory to Old Ltd for $12,000. This inventory had originally cost School Ltd $8,000 with 30% of this inventory still being held by Old Ltd at 30 June 2020.
- All dividends paid/declared by Old Ltd during the year ended 30 June 2020 were from post-acquisition profits.
- Financial statements for the year ended 30 June 2020 are reproduced below:
|Old Ltd||School Ltd|
|Cost of goods sold||(3,060,000)||(2,710,000)|
|Management fees revenue||22,000|
|Loss on sale of land||(10,000)|
|Profit before income tax||2,840,000||404,000|
|Income tax expense||(202,000)||(88,000)|
|Profit after tax||2,638,000||316,000|
|Retained earnings at (01/07/19)||695,000||322,000|
|Interim dividend paid||(70,000)||(22,000)|
|Final dividend declared||(140,000)||(61,000)|
|Retained earnings at (30/06/20)||3,123,000||555,000|
|Trade and other payables||413,000||137,000|
|Loan from School Ltd (6% per year, interest payable 31 December)||300,000|
|Deferred tax liabilities||90,000|
|Total liabilities and equity||6,529,000||1,794,000|
|Trade and other receivables||72,000||35,000|
|Accumulated depreciation buildings||(320,000)||(454,000)|
|Plant and equipment||2,790,000||450,000|
|Accumulated depreciation plant and equipment||(435,000)||(110,000)|
|Investment in School Ltd||900,000|
|Loan to Old Ltd (6% per year, interest payable 31 December)||300,000|
- Determine the gain on bargain purchase or goodwill as at acquisition date.
- Prepare the consolidation journal entries for Old Ltd immediately after acquisition on 1 July 2017.
- Prepare the consolidation journal entries for Old Ltd as at 30 June 2020.
- Prepare the consolidation worksheet for the preparation of the consolidated financial statements by Old Ltd as at 30 June 2020.
Question 2: Topic 3 and 4 (continued) and Topic 5 – Non-Controlling Interest
On 1 July 2018, Bay Ltd paid $236,400 for 60% of the issued shares of Watch Ltd. At this date, the equity of Watch Ltd consisted of:
|Share capital (200,000 shares)||$200,000|
A comparison of the carrying amounts and fair values of Watch Ltd’s assets at the acquisition date showed the following:
|Carrying amount||Fair value|
|Plant (cost $150,000)||100,000||120,000|
In relation to the accounts, the following information is available:
- At acquisition date, the plant had a further 5-year life but was sold on 1 January 2020.
- All the inventories were sold by 30 June 2019.
- All the accounts receivable were collected by 30 June 2019.
Any valuation reserves arising on consolidation are transferred on realisation of the asset to retained earnings. The general reserve movement was from pre-acquisition equity. Dividends are recognised on declaration.
The following transactions occurred between 1 July 2018 and 30 June 2020:
|Jan.||1||Watch Ltd sold an item of plant to Bay Ltd for $18,000, which included a profit of $6,000. The remaining useful life of the plant was 4 years.|
|Jan.||7||Watch Ltd transferred $20,000 from general reserve to retained earnings.|
|Feb.||12||Watch Ltd paid an $8,000 dividend.|
|March||23||Watch Ltd sold inventories to Bay Ltd for $50,000 recording a before-tax profit of $10,000. The tax rate is 30%.|
|June.||26||Watch Ltd declared a $15,000 dividend.|
|30||Watch Ltd recorded a profit after tax of $130,000. One-quarter of the inventories sold by Watch Ltd to Bay Ltd on 23 March 2019 are still on hand with Bay Ltd.|
|Aug.||15||The $15,000 dividend declared by Watch Ltd was paid.|
|Sept.||21||The remaining inventories in Bay Ltd sold to it by Watch Ltd were sold outside the group.|
|Jan.||1||Watch Ltd paid a $16,000 dividend.|
|June||30||Watch Ltd recorded a profit after tax of $150,000.|
- Determine the gain on bargain purchase or goodwill as at acquisition date using the full goodwill method. Assume the fair value of the Non-Controlling Interest on 1 July 2018 was $150,000.
- Determine the gain on bargain purchase or goodwill as at acquisition date using the partial goodwill method.
Click on Buy Solution and make payment. All prices shown above are in USD. Payment supported in all currencies. Price shown above includes the solution of all questions mentioned on this page. Please note that our prices are fixed (do not bargain).
After making payment, solution is available instantly.Solution is available either in Word or Excel format unless otherwise specified.
If your question is slightly different from the above question, please contact us at email@example.com with your version of question.