ACC110 201660 Additional Assessment
Due date: 14 January 2017
Submission method options: via Turnitin (you will be added to ACC110 AA special class)
BACKGROUND TO THE ASSIGNMENT
You have just been appointed as Accountant for Sandgate Electronics, a small electronics store that operates in inner city Brisbane, owned by Benny Wang, and you start work on 1 February 2016.
Sandgate Electronics was set up as a company based in Brisbane and derives its main source of revenue from retail sales of electronic goods. Benny Wang (the sole shareholder) is heavily involved in the running of the business. He has also appointed a sales consultant (Jenny Zhang) and an accountant (you) to work at the store on a full-time basis.
Goods and services tax (GST): The company is a registered entity for GST purposes and accounts for GST on an accrual basis. As a small business, Sandgate Electronics pays GST in quarterly instalments and no GST is due to be remitted in the month of February. The prices of goods and services that are subject to GST are quoted inclusive of 10% GST.
Inventories: The business uses the perpetual inventory system and the cost of all inventory sold is 70% of the sales (GST exclusive) price.
The following trial balance provides the closing balances of all accounts as at 31 January 2016 which are also the opening balances of those accounts as of 1 February 2016.
Now that you are employed as an accountant for the store, your first task will be to record transactions for the month of February 2016 and derive some financial statements for the business. Specifically, Mr Wang requests you to use Excel to:
- Open Ledger accounts (T-Bar format or Running-balance format) for each account in the following Trial Balance as at 31 January 2016, and enter the balances shown in that the Trial Balance as the opening balance in the associated account.
- Record the February transactions (listed below) in the General Journal.
Notations/descriptions are required in the general journal entries.
- Post the entries from the general journal to the general ledger accounts and enter the posting references in the general journal.
- Balance off each general ledger account and prepare a trial balance as at 29 February 2016.
- Prepare a Statement of Profit or Loss for the period ending 29 February 2016.
- Prepare a Statement of Retained Earnings for the period ending 29 February 2016.
- Prepare a Statement of Financial Position as at 29 February 2016.
- i) When a discount is received or allowed, there is no need to adjust the associated GST Paid or Collected. ii) When using Excel you are expected to use the appropriate excel functions including, but not restricted to: ‘sum’
- Cell merging
- Wrap text
- Correct alignment of numbers and text
- Correct identification of values as $ amounts
|Trial Balance as at 31 January, 2016|
|1-1210||Less Provision for Doubtful Debts||781|
|1-3110||Property & Equipment at Cost||54,000|
|1-3120||Property & Equipment Accum Dep||22,094|
|2-1800||Short Term Loans||0|
|5-1100||Cost of Sales/Cost of Goods Sold||70,220|
|6-1800||Office Supplies Expense||2,761|
|6-2600||Bad Debts Expense||1,084|
Date Transaction description
- Issued Cheque No. 5017 to Office Supplies Warehouse for the purchase of $1,980 (includes 10% GST) worth of equipment.
- Issued Cheque No. 5018 for $1,430 (includes 10% GST) to Discount Office Supplies for the cash purchase of office supplies.
- Obtained a loan of $20,000 from Li Wang (a family relative of Benny Wang) at a simple interest rate of 6% per year. The funds were immediately placed in the business’s bank account.
- Issued Cheque No. 5019 for $7,268 to Telco Ltd in payment for a credit purchase made in the previous month.
6 Received Cheque No. 221 from Hi Tech for $11,248, which is the full amount outstanding on their account.
8 Purchased the following items from WFI Electrical:
– 9 units Bic Phones at $1,177 each (includes 10% GST), and – 8 units Mieca camera lenses at $1,760 each (includes 10% GST).
Issued Cheque No. 5020 for $7,800 to this supplier for this particular invoice at the time of the purchase, with the remainder being on credit.
10 Sold the following items on credit to Wi-Tronics, Invoice #3532:
– 3 units MX620 notebook computers for $2,420 each (includes 10% GST) – 4 units ZII game consoles for $2,750 each (includes 10% GST).
$7,500 was received immediately, Cheque No. 642, with the rest due to be received during the last week of the month.
- Purchased on credit 10 units MX620 notebook computers from Telco Ltd at $1,617 each (includes 10% GST).
- Made a cash sale to Wi-Tronics, Invoice #3533 for the following items:
- 5 units MX620 notebook computers for $2,420 each (includes 10% GST).
- 4 units Mieca camera lenses for $2,640 each (includes 10% GST).
Received Cheque No. 647 for $22,660 from this customer.
- Sold the following items on credit to Pikea, Invoice #3534:
- 5 units MX620 notebook computers at $2,420 each (includes 10% GST) – 5 units Bic Phones at $1,760 each, (includes 10% GST) .
16 Purchased 10 units ZII game consoles from Telco Ltd for a price of $1,837 each (includes 10% GST). Issued Cheque No. 5021 for the full payment of this purchase.
20 Issued Cheque No. 5022 for $6,600 (includes 10% GST) to pay The Professionals Property Management for three month’s rent in advance.
22 Sold merchandise on credit to Hi Tech, Invoice #3535. The items sold were: – 3 units Mieca camera lenses for $2,640 each (includes 10% GST) – 4 units ZII game consoles for $2,750 each (includes 10% GST) .
24 Purchased 8 units Bic Phones for $1,177 each (includes 10% GST), from Xrata Technology on credit.
26 Received $10,760 owing from Wi-Tronics for their purchase on February 10.
28 Paid (Cheque No. 5023) the Sales Consultant’s salary for the month $2,560. Paid (Cheque No. 5024) the Accountant’s salary for the month $2,680.
Click on Buy Solution and make payment. All prices shown above are in USD. Payment supported in all currencies. Price shown above includes the solution of all questions mentioned on this page. Please note that our prices are fixed (do not bargain).
After making payment, solution is available instantly.Solution is available either in Word or Excel format unless otherwise specified.
If your question is slightly different from the above question, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your version of question.