Financial statement presentation
Appliances Ltd, a manufacturing company, commenced operations on 1 July 2017. The draft trial balance for the year ended 30 June 2018 has been prepared as follows:
|Draft trial balance as at 30 June 2018|
|DR ($)||CR ($)|
|Sales of goods||12,230,000|
|Cost of sales||4,685,000|
|Salaries and wages||2,740,000|
|Annual leave expense||210,000|
|Doubtful debts expense||62,000|
|Other borrowing expenses||6,000|
|Income tax expense||0|
|Cash on hand||41,000|
|Cash management account||193,000|
|Allowance for doubtful debts||219,000|
|Raw material inventory||624,000|
|Finished goods inventory||1,250,000|
|Accumulated depreciation – buildings||0|
|Plant and equipment||2,600,000|
|Accumulated depreciation – plant and equipment||0|
|Deferred tax asset||0|
|Provision for annual leave||200,000|
|Provision for warranty||55,000|
|Current tax liability||0|
- The bank loan is repayable in 5 years.
- The provision for annual leave is payable within 1 year.
- The provision for warranty is in respect of a 12-month warranty given on certain goods sold.
- Share capital consists of 1,000,000 ordinary shares, fully paid to $5.00 each.
- Appliances Ltd is a reporting entity.
- Appliances Ltd uses the single statement format for the statement of profit or loss and other comprehensive income and presents an analysis of expenses by nature on the statement.
- In relation to the statement of financial position, where AASB 101 requires entities to disclose further sub-classifications of the minimum line items on the face of the statement or in the notes, the directors of Appliances Ltd want to report only the minimum line items on the face of the statement, and leave the sub-classifications to be disclosed in the notes.
Whilst reviewing the draft trial balance, you notice that depreciation and income tax have not been recognised as yet. The following information is available for these items:
- The buildings were purchased on 1 July 2017, and have a useful life of 30 years and estimated residual value of nil. The plant and equipment was also purchased on 1 July 2017, and has a useful life of 10 years and estimated residual value of $50,000. Depreciation is to be recognised on a straight-line basis.
- Income tax expense needs to be calculated at 30% of the accounting profit (you will need to prepare the statement of profit or loss and other comprehensive income after accounting for depreciation above to determine income tax expense). The deferred tax asset to be recognised as at 30 June 2018 is $142,200. The current tax liability to be recognised will be the sum of income tax expense and the deferred tax asset.
i) Prepare the journal entries to recognise depreciation and income tax in Appliances Ltd’s accounting records as at 30 June 2018. After preparing the journal entries, enter the amounts from your journal entries into the draft trial balance.
ii) Prepare the statement of profit or loss and other comprehensive income, statement of financial position, and statement of changes in equity of Appliances Ltd for the year ended 30 June 2018 in accordance with AASB 101. Must be presented in both formula view as well as normal view, Notes and comparative figures are not required.
|Question 2||Max. marks awarded|
|Preparation of financial statement reports||11|
Click on Buy Solution and make payment. All prices shown above are in USD. Payment supported in all currencies. Price shown above includes the solution of all questions mentioned on this page. Please note that our prices are fixed (do not bargain).
After making payment, solution is available instantly.Solution is available either in Word or Excel format unless otherwise specified.
If your question is slightly different from the above question, please contact us at email@example.com with your version of question.