Electro Motors (Electro) is considering a new project to produce electric vehicles for the Australian domestic market and international markets. It has identified a property/plant that was formerly used to build petrol fuelled motor vehicles that could be refitted at minimal cost to manufacture the new electric vehicles. Electro is targeting Australian metropolitan centres for initial sales and expanding into regional centres over the next five years. International demand for electric vehicles is being driven by China and Electro has been in negotiation to provide vehicles to the Chinese market in 2025.
Electro has made the following projections:
- In the first year 2,000 units will be sold and growing at 10% pa.
- The price for each unit in the first year will be AU$50,000. This price will increase by 5% pa.
- Variable costs are 70% of the sales price in the first year’s total revenue and grow by 8% each year.
- Fixed costs are $5 million pa, which are expected to grow by 4% each year.
- The project is for a term of 5 years. The projected growth of the electric cars line is expected to outgrow the plant at this time, hence the plant will be sold at the end of 5 years.
- Initial investment into manufacturing equipment will be $100 million.
- The equipment may be depreciated at 20% straight-line (prime cost) method to zero.
- In 5 years, the plant will be worth 10% of the purchase price.
- Working capital will be $3 million.
- Electro’s required rate of return is 10%.
- The tax rate for Electro is 30%.
- Required payback is three (3) years.
- Prepare an excel spreadsheet calculating:
- After-tax cash flows
- Payback period
- Net present value
- Profitability index
- It has come to your attention that variable costs are anticipated to rise by 12% per annum due to the prospective growth within the industry. Would you recommend to proceed with the project? (Show all calculations).
Click on Buy Solution and make payment. All prices shown above are in USD. Payment supported in all currencies. Price shown above includes the solution of all questions mentioned on this page. Please note that our prices are fixed (do not bargain).
After making payment, solution is available instantly.Solution is available either in Word or Excel format unless otherwise specified.
If your question is slightly different from the above question, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your version of question.