Assessment item 3
Assignment 2
Value: 20%
Due date: 07-May-2018
Return date: 29-May-2018
Submission method options
Alternative submission method

You are required to complete all three questions below. A total of 50 marks are allocated to these questions, which will be converted to a final mark out of 20%.

All workings, when appropriate, must be shown to substantiate your answers.
Question 1 [34 marks] 
Topic 3: Consolidation: Non-controlling interests
On 1 July 2016, Poppy Ltd acquired 80% of the issued shares of Sunshine Ltd for $240 000 when the equity of Sunshine Ltd consisted of:
share capital $160000
general reserve $10000
retained earnings $59000
At this date, all identifiable assets and liabilities of Sunshine Ltd were recorded at fair value except for the following.
  carrying amount fair value
Inventories $ 10000 $14 000
plant (cost $220 000) 90 000 99 000
Land 70 000 87 000
Half of the inventories were sold by 30 June 2017 and the remainder by 30 June 2018. The plant has a further 3-year life beyond 1 July 2016, with benefits to be received evenly over this period. The land was sold on 1 March 2020 to an external party. Adjustments for the differences between carrying amounts and fair values are to be made in the consolidation worksheet. Poppy Ltd uses the partial goodwill method. The tax rate is 30%.
During the 4 years since acquisition, Sunshine Ltd has recorded the following annual results and declared the following dividends.
Year ended
Profit (loss)
30 June 2017
30 June 2018
Dividends were paid within 6 weeks of the end of each period. There have been no transfers to or from the general reserve since the acquisition date.
1. Prepare the consolidation worksheet entries as at 1 July 2016.
2. Prepare the consolidation worksheet entries for the year ended 30 June 2018.
Question 1
Max. marks allocated
Acquisition analysis
Consolidation entries for part (1)
Consolidation entries for part (2)
Question 2 [10 marks]
Topic 4: Investment in associates
On 1 July 2016, Pandini Ltd acquired 25% of the shares of Amani Ltd for $400,000. The acquisition of these shares gave Pandini Ltd significant influence over Amani Ltd. At this date, the equity of Amani Ltd consisted of:
share capital $660000
general reserve $100000
retained earnings $440000
At 1 July 2016, all the identifiable assets and liabilities of Amani Ltd were recorded at amounts equal to their fair values except for:
  carrying amount fair value
land $1200 000 1600 000
plant (cost $1200 000) 1000 000 1100 000
The plant was considered to have a further useful life of 5 years. The land was revalued in the records of Amani Ltd and the revaluation model applied in the measurement of the land. The tax rate is 30%.
At 30 June 2018, Amani Ltd reported the following information:
Profit before tax
Income tax expense
Profit after tax
Retained earnings at 1 July 2017
Dividends paid
Dividends declared
Transfer to general reserve
Retained earnings at 30 June 2018
Share capital
General reserve
Asset revaluation surplus
Total equity
Amani Ltd also reported other comprehensive income relating to gains on revaluation of land of $10,000.
Prepare the journal entries for inclusion in the consolidation worksheet of Pandini Ltd at 30 June 2018 for the equity accounting of Amani Ltd.
Question 2
Max. marks allocated
Acquisition analysis
Consolidation entries
Question 3 [6 marks]
Topic 5: Accounting for foreign currency transactions
Soul Ltd is an Australian company that makes and sells small electronic goods and its financial year ends on 30 June. On 1 February 2018, a customer from the United States ordered some goods from Soul Ltd at an invoice cost of US$400,000 on terms FOB destination. On 30 April 2018, the goods were delivered to the customer. The agreed payment arrangements are that 30% of the total amount owing would be paid on delivery, 20% three months after delivery, and the remaining 50% four months after delivery. The end of the reporting period for Soul Ltd is 30 June. The following exchange rates are applicable.
1 February 2018
A$1 = US$0.77
30 April 2018
A$1 = US$0.75
30 June 2018
A$1 = US$0.70
31 July 2018
A$1 = US$0.74
31 August 2018
A$1 = US$0.78
In accordance with AASB 121, prepare the relevant journal entries of Soul Ltd to account for the above transactions.
Question 3
Max. marks allocated
Journal entries

Click on Buy Solution and make payment. All prices shown above are in USD. Payment supported in all currencies. Price shown above includes the solution of all questions mentioned on this page. Please note that our prices are fixed (do not bargain).

After making payment, solution is available instantly.Solution is available either in Word or Excel format unless otherwise specified.

If your question is slightly different from the above question, please contact us at with your version of question.