Beckett Pumps is a manufacturer of commercial and heavy industrial Pumps. The firm’s two product lines are called Directlift and Gravity. The primary raw materials are flexible steel sheets, and 23cm x 60cm of plastic sheets. Each Directlift pump requires a 2/3 of a meter and a Gravity pump requires a one metre of steel sheet. Allowing for normal breakage and scrap steel sheet, the company can cut either enough to make four Directlifts or two Gravity pumps from a single steel sheet. Other raw materials are costly and treated as indirect materials. Jo Smith Beckett Pump’s accountant has gathered the following information in preparation for the company’s annual budget for the next year.


  • Sales in the fourth quarter of the current year are expected to be 50,000 Directlift and 40,000 Gravity pumps. The sales manager predicts that, over the next two years, sales in each product line will grow by 5000 units each quarter over the previous quarter.
  • Beckett’s sales history indicates that 60 per cent of all sales are on credit, with the remainder of the sales in cash. The company’s experience shows that 80 per cent of the credit sales are collected during the quarter in which the sales are made, while the remaining 20 per cent are collected in the following quarter. There are no bad debts.
  • The Directlift sells for $10 and Gravity for $15. Prices of both products are expected to increase by 2% in the third quarter of the budget year.
  • Beckett’s production manager tries to end each quarter with enough finished goods inventory in each product line to cover 20 per cent of the following quarter’s sales. In addition, an attempt is made to end each quarter with 20 per cent of the plastic sheets needed for the following quarter’s production requirement. Since steel sheets are purchased locally, Beckett buys them on a just-in-time basis, so inventory is negligible.
  • All of Beckett’s direct material purchases are on credit, and 80 per cent of each quarter’s purchases are paid during the same quarter as the purchases are made. The other 20 per cent is paid in the next quarter.
  • Indirect materials are purchased as needed for cash.
  • Work in process inventory in negligible.
  • Projected manufacturing costs for each product in the budget year are as follows:


  Directlift Gravity
Direct material    
Steel sheet:    
Directlift: 2/3 metre @$3 per metre $2  
Gravity: 1 metre @ $3 per metre   $3
Plastic sheet:    
Directlift: ¼ sheet @$8 per sheet 2  
Gravity: ½ sheet @ $8 per sheet   4
Direct labour    
0.1 hour @ $20 per hour 2 2


  • The following are budgeted manufacturing overhead costs (all these costs except for the depreciation charges will be paid during the quarter incurred).
    • Indirect materials are expected to be $10,200 for quarter 1 & are expected to increase by $1,000 every quarter.
    • Indirect Labour is expected to be $40,800 for quarter 1 & is expected to increase by $4,000 every quarter
    • Other overheads are expected to be $31,000 for quarter 1 & expected to increase by $5,000 every quarter
    • Depreciation is calculated on a straight-line basis at $20,000 per quarter.
  • Beckett pump’s quarterly selling and administrative expenses are $100,000 paid in cash
  • Jo Smith anticipates that dividends of $50,000 will be declared and paid in cash each quarter.
  • MOH costs are allocated to each product based on Direct Labour hours.
  • Beckett’s projected balance sheet as 31 December of the current year is as follows:



Cash $95000
Accounts receivable 132000
Raw materials 59200
Finished goods 167000
Plant and equipment (net of accumulated depreciation) 8 000 000
Total assets $8 453 200
Accounts payable $99400
Ordinary shares 5 000 000
Retained earnings 3 353 800
Total liabilities and shareholders’ equity $8 453 200



Additional information:


  • The CEO has decided to invest in purchasing a fully automated electric machine which is expected to increase production significantly. The acquisition of the new machine will take place at the start of January next year. The machine will cost $950,000 and there will be an additional $50,000 of equipment purchase to allow the machine to operate. The purchase will be financed with a $1,000,000 loan from National Australia Bank. The CEO has negotiated a repayment schedule of four equal instalments, payable on the last day of each quarter. The interest rate is 10 per cent and interest is also paid quarterly with each instalment payment of the principal.





Prepare Beckett Pump’s annual budget for the next year by completing:

  • Sales budget
  • Production budget
  • Direct Material Budget
  • Direct Labour budget
  • Manufacturing Overhead budget
  • S & A Budget
  • Budgeted cost of goods sold
  • Budgeted Income & Expenditure Statement
  • Cash receipt budget
  • Cash payments budget
  • Cash budget
  • Budgeted balance sheet as of 31 December of the budget year

Click on Buy Solution and make payment. All prices shown above are in USD. Payment supported in all currencies. Price shown above includes the solution of all questions mentioned on this page. Please note that our prices are fixed (do not bargain).

After making payment, solution is available instantly.Solution is available either in Word or Excel format unless otherwise specified.

If your question is slightly different from the above question, please contact us at with your version of question.